Sunday, January 29, 2012

New pregnancy update

Where to begin...Chris and I are currently in the antepartum unit (before Labor and Delivery) of the Lucile Packard's Children Hospital at Stanford.
Here's the story:
Friday morning Chris and I came in to the hospital for our weekly NST (non-stress test). I was feeling great and excited to hear and see our little boy. The ultrasound went great - my amniotic fluid levels were normal. Our little boy's heart rate was great as well, everything looked good...well so I thought. I apparently had two contractions durning the test, which at almost 33 weeks isn't particularly normal and considering my history with my previous Classical C-section, the doctors wanted me to get checked before I could leave. In my mind I was thinking they would make sure I wasn't dilated and send me on my way and I'd be into work within the hour. Little did I know, things were going to turn out a bit differently...
The nurse took me to Labor and Delivery were they had me in an observation room to monitor the contractions and baby's heart beat. The doctor ran all these test thinking I could have a number of different infections, which would cause contractions - the test's came back negative. I also was not (and am still not) dilated at all, which is great news. However, the contractions continued, starting at 10 minutes apart and within a couple of hours getting as close as a minute apart. I was not in any pain and could hardly even tell I was having contractions. I could feel tightening but no real pain. The doctors first gave me an IV, thinking I may be dehydrated, which again could cause contractions, however the IV wasn't making a difference and when they kept progressing the doctors gave me a shot to try and stop them. The concern is agitating or in worst case rupturing my current uterine scar.
Anyways, after the shot my contractions began to slow down, however Friday night at about 11 PM they started to pick back up again at which point the doctors came in and started a new medication that has a loading dose of 3 pills, 20 minutes apart and then a pill every 4 hours after that. My doctor also gave me the first of two steroid shots, which will help to develop our baby's lungs if he does need to come earlier than planned (I had these shots with Collin also). The ideal effectiveness for these steroids is 48 hours after the first dose, and they wanted to get them started right away, just in case, which of course made me very nervous. Needless to say, I hardly slept. Those labor beds are not comfortable.
The new medication they gave me seemed to slow the contractions down a little bit but not significantly. After each pill the contractions would slow down for about 2-3 hours but then start to pick back up before I could take another dose. I guess the doctors didn't want to give me another shot because it isn't really FDA recommend to receive multiple doses of that particular drug, so they stuck with the pills (which the doctors say is fine to take in as many doses as needed).
Anyways, Saturday morning they officially admitted me to the hospital and moved me to the antepartum unit, which is where we are now. All throughout the day Saturday my contractions continued but slowed to 5 or 6 an hour. The medication seemed to be working some but not enough that the doctors felt comfortable with sending me home. The lasted update however, is that throughout the night last night (which was much better as far as sleeping is considered) the contractions have slowed down even more (1 to 2 an hour) and if they continue to improve the doctors may consider sending me home on the medication tomorrow, with instructions to rest (which is hard for me to do - but I am totally willing and happy to do whatever it takes to keep our little boy in and growing for hopefully 4 more weeks!)
The doctors have said that if I were any regular patient without a history of a C-section, particularly a Classical C-section, they wouldn't be as concerned about the contractions because, first I am not dilated and second these contractions are not painful. However they are extra cautious because of my scar and because of my history and our experience with Collin. I am so grateful for the precautions and care I am receiving.
Oh I want to mention our little boy has been an all star through these contractions - his heart rate has been great, which is a huge blessing.
Chris has been and is amazing! His very demanding/stressful/time consuming work has been very understanding of our situation and Chris has been with me, taking care of and supporting me through this all. I feel a little demanding as I am stuck in the hospital bed strapped to all these machines, but Chris is so amazing and is always making sure I am as comfortable as possible and making sure I always have everything I need. I am so grateful for him!
My mom is planning to fly here tomorrow morning, if I am going to be stuck in the hospital. I am so grateful for my family and for Chris's family, they are all so supportive!
I feel like I've just rambled on and on in the post, and I'm impressed if you've made it this far...I do have to say one more thing...It's a little hard for me not to feel a little guilty - like I brought on these contractions, Chris keeps telling me it's not my fault, but it's hard not to feel a little guilty - like I should have rested more, not jogged, not walked as much as I did.

Here's a little summary of the plan:
Best case: the contractions stay in control and improve then I may be able to go home tomorrow with the medication and instruction to rest and take it easy
Medium case: the contractions do not improve and become more frequent again (however, still not painful) then I will stay in the hospital for as long as I can before they decide to either send me home or go forward with my C-section.
Worse case: the contractions worsen to the point of becoming painful or I start to dilate (which would then classify me as in pre-term labor) and I will then have my C-section

Oh and here is a picture when I first was in the Labor and Delivery observation room. Our room now is much nicer and we are so blessed to be in a private room! (which is no guarantee at Stanford)


We greatly appreciated everyone's prayers and concern. We are so blessed with wonderful friends and family. People keep asking me what they can do to help - just keep us in your prayers and if you feel inclined, we LOVE visitors : )

6 comments:

  1. It's not your fault :) You're just taking care of yourself and being healthy. If you had been on bedrest and done those things then maybe you just feel a little chagrined but still, nature has it's own idea of how things should work:) We'll keep you in our prayers! I know things will work out and be okay. YOu're such a trooper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just read this post and Ben came home and I told him about it. He's texting Chris now. We're thinking of you and believing in the best case scenario for you and baby. Hoping to see you soon, we're coming in March, hang in there Robyn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are so strong! Tommy and I will definitely keep you in our prayers. If we were there I would come visit!!! I wish I could. We love you guys :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Robin! I am so glad you were monitored frequently so that you could get help right away. You and Chris are in my prayers. I wish I could come visit like I did when you were in the hospital with Colin. I hope you are doing better tonight keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just heard about what was going on tonight. Hope you're doing well!! Let us know if you need anything...some company at night while Chris works late or food. You're in our thoughts and prayers. One more thing...please don't feel guilty...unexpected things can happen and from the times I've talked to you I know you've been taking good care of yourself and of that precious little boy. Get well soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Robyn, we are praying for you guys. We hope things go great. Please don't feel guilty. These things were not as a result of anything you were doing. I know how easy it is to think that, but it isn't true! You and Chris amaze us with your faith, strength and testimony! We will keep you and your baby boy in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete