Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Grandpa Lindley

My Grandpa Lindley passed away this morning. It's all a little surreal to me right now because the last time I saw him, over Christmas break, he was, for the most part, healthy. He had been battling with pneumonia for the past couple weeks and was relieved from any pain and discomfort this morning. I am really sad I won't be able to make it to his funeral. I am so grateful that I was able to talk to him on the phone last week and tell him that I love him and have him tell me that he loves me too.

My Grandpa is amazing. I am grateful for everything that he taught me and grateful that he raised a righteous family. He had a rough childhood yet that didn't stop him from becoming the amazing man he is. He was incredible at all sports, especially football. He was drafted by the Chicago Bears and the Edmonton Eskimos (in Canada) and ultimately decided to play in Canada, in part because he wouldn't have to play on Sundays. He was on the All Canadian Team for several seasons. He coached at BYU for a number of years and was responsible for getting LaVell Edwards (a college teammate) on the coaching staff at BYU. He is in the Utah Sports Hall of Fame. I always love looking at his picture in the Delta Center (Energy Solutions Arena). He worked hard his whole life. He raised his family on a farm and taught everyone the value of a hard days work. As a little girl, I would love to play in the barn when we visited Grandma and Grandpa Lindley. My grandpa was there at my high school graduation, college graduation and wedding (he flew all the way to Australia!). He supported me in all the different sporting events. I remember him coming to watch me play Rugby in Logan a couple years ago and him being excited about our win and the tries I scored. I always loved listening to Grandpa tell stories about his childhood and football years. I always knew that he loved me and I knew that he loved and cherished my Grandma. He had a son, Blake, pass away when he was 3 days old. I always felt like he understood my pain when Collin passed away, at 3 days old. The reunion with his son, I'm sure is so sweet, one that Collin will get to witness and be apart of.
I am so proud to be his granddaughter. I love you Grandpa.


This picture is of me with both my grandpa's at my BYU graduation. Grandpa Lindley on the left and Grandpa Farnsworth on the right.

1 comment:

  1. We will all miss grandpa dearly! You are lucky he was at your high school AND college graduation! What a good post, Robyn.

    ReplyDelete