Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Ethan's Birth Story

Well there isn’t really too much to Ethan’s birth story, it being a planned C-section and all, but I still wanted to record the special event.

Leading up to Ethan’s birth, I spent 3 and ½ weeks in the hospital, because of my constant contractions and previous Classical C-section. There were a couple different dates prior to February 21st where the doctors considered going forward with the C-section, however, we were able to hold strong and push the dates back, which was a huge blessing!

February 21st , I was 36 weeks and 2 days pregnant. We were worried that Ethan was going to be really small and possibly have difficulties breathing. I couldn’t sleep the night before the 21st. I was nervous and so excited to meet my son! The morning came and the doctors began to prep me for the 10:30 scheduled C-section, however, there was an emergency and so I got pushed back an hour or so. I started to feel nervous, I felt at peace that everything was going to go well, however, I was still nervous about being cut wide open. The surgery went well, the numbing took a little while, which was making me even more nervous that I wasn’t going to go numb and I would feel everything. The doctors kept reassuring me that they wouldn’t start until I was numb. During the surgery, Chris did awesome at keeping my mind off the procedure and before I knew it I could hear the doctors say here he comes and then I heard the most wonderful sound, my baby cry. The emotion was so strong, I felt so much love for my little boy and so much relief that he cried! I couldn’t hold back the emotion. I never heard Collin cry. They took Ethan to the corner of the room where they had NICU doctors examine him and make sure he was okay. Chris went over to see him and came back with a huge smile on his face and said he’s big! He was a whopping 6 pounds and 5 ounces, 19.27 inches long – which is big for 4 weeks early! We were shocked, because the doctors and ultrasounds kept saying he was in the 20th percentile and would probably be small.

Recovery, for the first couple of days was really rough. I was in so much pain, but it was worth it! I would do it a hundred times over for Ethan. I just love him so much! I love that he is here with me. I know that I was already a mom but I love that I can take care of my baby. I love Collin so much too. It’s indescribable how much I love my boys. I am just getting the hang of the whole mom business – I am definitely a beginner.

Chris is an incredible dad! Ethan has him wrapped around his finger. I told Chris I wish we could just all hang out together for the next 20 years and forget about Chris going back to work. For some reason I don’t think that will work though haha. Chris is so caring and is always making sure everything is perfect for Ethan.

Ethan lost down to 5 lbs 12 ounces, while in the hospital. The doctors said that he would most likely have a little more difficulty with nursing because he is a preemie – and the first couple of days were definitely rough. I was nursing and pumping and nursing and pumping as much as I could, trying to get him to eat enough. Well, Ethan had his first appointment on Monday, just 6 days after his birth and he had already gain all the way back to his birth weight of 6lbs 5 ounces! We are so proud of him!

I have had so much help from family and friends. My mom flew here on Monday and was amazing at getting our apartment all ready, with our fridge stocked with food. Then she flew to New York on Thursday, because my sister, Erica, had her baby girl, Ava, on Wednesday (the cousins are just a day apart!) Her birth story is crazy and hopefully she will start a blog and share that with everyone, hint hint. Then my mother-in-law flew here on Monday and is here until Friday, she too is doing a wonderful job helping with everything. And we were so lucky to have my dad stop in for a couple hours yesterday, while on his way to Asia for a business trip. Friends have been amazing and I cannot thank them enough. I honestly feel so blessed to have such great friends!

Here are some pictures of our sweet little man – we think he is just the cutest baby we have ever seen. I swear we are not biased, I mean look at him!












4 comments:

  1. Robyn!! He really is super cute, bias or not :) It was fun reading the story! I'm glad you wrote it down. Sure hope your sister will do the same *hint hint*!
    Congrats again

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is sooooo cute! I love the picture of him on Chris' stomach, so cute. He looks so big but then in pics like that he's just a little new guy. I love it. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robyn, I am so excited for you guys! He is just such a handsome little guy! So glad that you've had tons of help and support. Hopefully I'll get to come and visit you soon and meet Ethan. Congrats, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness I am a horrible friend!! I have been meaning to get in touch with you for weeks!!
    This is all such wonderful news! We cannot believe he was Claire's size! And funny...she was 5,12 when we left the hospital too! Twins! They are already soul mates!
    I'm so glad things went well! I hope you are recovering! We just hit our one month mark and I think that was the magic number! We can't wait to meet little Ethan!
    Keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete