Monday, August 20, 2012

Turning 2

My precious son, Collin, would be turing two today. It's hard not to feel sadness by his absence. I know that him coming to earth for 3 short days was and is part of God's plan for our family. I do not question God's plan. I do miss him though. In the busyness and joy of taking care of Ethan, I sometimes feel guilty for not thinking about Collin as much. I know what you'll say... you shouldn't feel guilty. I just don't want Collin to ever be forgotten. The other day, while Ethan was napping, I was overcome with emotion thinking about Collin, about the joy of becoming a mother. I remember the joy of holding his tiny feet in my hands, talking to him about his future and the fun we would have, asking him what sports he would play. I remember seeing his perfect little body and thinking he was the cutest, most perfect baby I had ever seen. I also remember the heartbreak of holding him in my arms as he took his final breath. I remember wrapping his tiny body in a blanket and placing him in a casket with a picture of us - mom, dad and Collin. I remember the pain and sorrow in the days/weeks/months following his death. This reminiscing is a tender mercy from God, reminding me that I will never forget Collin and that it's okay to be happy and its okay to love every minute with Ethan and that loving him doesn't take away from Collin.

I am so grateful for all three of my boys. Chris, Collin and Ethan. Today, I am particularly grateful for Collin. He taught me to rely on my Savior for strength. He taught me to appreciate my loved ones more. He brought Chris and me closer to together. He taught me that life is precious and to appreciate the little things. He provided our family with an even stronger resolve to live worthy so we can be reunited as a family one day. Collin will always be my baby boy. And today, I want to say, Happy Birthday Collin. We love you!



4 comments:

  1. Happy birthday little Collin! Give your mom and dad a squeeze tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robyn, I'm saying this, taking the chance that it could be super creepy or weird. My heart broke for you when I found out about Collin a couple years ago. I've often thought about it while I've been pregnant too, imagining how you must have felt. I knew I was getting close to the time in my pregnancy that you were at when he was born and passed away so have thought about you even more often. I was shocked though, just now as I reread the story of his birth to realize we were 1 day off on our due dates. I'm due Dec 6. That makes it even more real for me and I'm so amazed at you and Chris. Anyway, your family is beautiful and thanks for sharing your experiences and feelings with the rest of us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robyn Thanks for sharing and Happy Birthday Collin! I miss you guys like crazy and get so sad we don't get to see Ethan growing so big! Brighton always asks where you are. As I was reading this I thought about my talk I gave on Sunday. It was about following Christ. I read this quote on Happiness I found in the LDS tools on LDS.org. Heavenly Father desires that we find true, lasting happiness. Our happiness is the design of all the blessings He gives us—gospel teachings, commandments, priesthood ordinances, family relationships, prophets, temples, the beauties of creation, and even the opportunity to experience adversity. His plan for our salvation is often called “the great plan of happiness” (Alma 42:8). He sent His Beloved Son to carry out the Atonement so we can be happy in this life and receive a fulness of joy in the eternities.

    And where it says And even the opportunity to experience adversity I was a little confused by this. I mean I get it but I don't at the same time. But after reading your blog post, I get it a whole lot more.

    Miss you love you

    Stephanie Brighton and Nixon .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad that you have the same concerns I do about sharing our love with all of our children. Every time I get pregnant and am about to have a baby I worry sometimes that I don't have enough love to share, but the miracle is that we have an overflowing amount of love that can never be capped.
    I love that you talk about Collin and I can only imagine the amazing things he is doing with his life in heaven, being a guardian angel to you guys, missionary work and serving beside our Savior.
    I never met him, but we miss him and love him and can't wait to meet him someday!

    ReplyDelete