Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Croup plus Ear Infection

Our little Mr. Ethan has been so sick. Thank goodness he is back to his happy healthy self! It all started last Wednesday night. He woke up with a horrible barking cough. And when I say "barking" I mean he literally sounded exactly like a barking seal. It scared me. I looked online and immediately knew he had croup. I called the nurse and she confirmed my research and told me to take him into the bathroom with the hot shower on for 15 minutes - so in we went and let me just say at the end of 15 minutes I was sweating up a storm. I was rocking/bouncing him the entire time and wow, it was a sauna in there! Needless to say, we had a rough night. Rough couple of nights actually. On Friday night, Chris and I found ourselves standing in the dark, one of us on each side of his car seat, swinging him back and forth. Unfortunately, after we realized he was just staring at us, we couldn't stop laughing, which didn't help him fall asleep. Let's just say we were all exhausted. He was so sad. We felt horrible for him and wished so badly we could take away his suffering. On Saturday, he was just miserable, so we took him in to urgent care. I had called the nurse a couple of times and she told me it was virus and to just wait it out at home. Well we were done waiting it out, so we took him in, and thank goodness we did! Turns out on top of croup he had an ear infection and his tonsils were so swollen they gave him steroids to help him breath. We saw drastic improvement after Saturday and he is now...finally...back. YAY!




2 comments:

  1. poor guy :( When I did my preceptorship in the ER there were a ton of little kids with croup. it is scary! Glad he's getting better

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww its so sad when little ones are sick and can't talk to tell you what hurts. I'm glad he's on the mend poor little guy. Don't know if you have tried it yet, but several of my friends and me have used pediatric chiropractors and they do wonders and make ear infections go away without meds if you ever want to try it. Henry never had another one.

    ReplyDelete